Today marks the 50th anniversary of when I first started modeling a collection of miniature buildings with scale trains, roads and topographic scenery better known as a model railroad layout. It was HO scale (1/87) and built on a 4-foot by 8-foot sheet of 3/4-inch plywood. It was track plan number 29 of 101.

Back on July 27th, 1974 my dad and I spent one summer Saturday morning visiting our local hobby shop located in the neighborhood strip mall three miles from our house. Although the name of the store is lost, I vividly remember the amazing miniature world that was directly behind the two large full-height glass and aluminum storefront windows. It captured your imagination outside on the sidewalk before you entered the glass door to the left. It was a wonderfully landscaped and detailed HO scale model railroad. We previously visited the store, but on this occasion my dad bought three hobby books written by Linn H. Westcott and published by Kalmbach. All three of which I still own today.

This particular Saturday marked a milestone of my grand HO scale adventure that continues today. After we got home my dad and I reviewed the 101 Track Plans and selected number 29, one of thirteen displayed on 4 1/2 pages about a quarter of the way in the 72-page book. We soon purchased the necessary curved and straight track sections, including seven switches, plus a 90-degree and 30-degree intersection. The plywood and small brad nails were purchased a couple weeks later in a builder's supply center that anchored the same strip mall. While my dad also bought me a few HO scale model building kits to accompany the freight and passenger train gifted the previous Christmas, we ended up only tacking down the track to the plywood. The plywood remained a flat sheet with a portion of the track elevated in a couple locations using a Tyco 17-piece plastic bridge and trestle set. We never added any scenery but we did run the freight and passenger trains. I remember them having a difficult time crossing the 90-degree intersection and sometimes derailing. But this was my first HO Layout.

How do I know it was July 27, 1974? My dad left the receipt in the binding of book (tucked in above) where I still keep it today. On this summer Saturday, 50 years later I plan to build track plan number 29 again, but this time incorporating all the techniques I've learned to craft and sculpt a miniature world of my own. Join me as the journey continues.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog